General Legal Information

Any statements pertaining to the law contained on this website are intended solely to provide broad, general information, not legal advice. Readers should seek advice from a licensed attorney with regard to any specific legal issues.

I need my driver's license back - are there payment plans for those who owe fees? 

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles offers payment plans to people who owe fees in order to reinstate their driver’s license right away.   To be eligible for the payment plan, a person must owe at least $150, have met all the other reinstatement requirements, show current proof of insurance, not be under suspension or have pending suspensions, and not be on a court-ordered payment plan.  More information about the payment plan, and the application form, visit  this BMV website.  The completed application, $50, and proof of insurance should be submitted to any deputy registrar license agency or reinstatement center, or by mail to: Ohio BMV Attn: Revenue Management/Points P.O. Box 16521 Columbus, OH 43216.  Note there is an additional $10 service fee for paying at a Deputy Registrar license agency. 

New online access to Social Security Administration info through online account

You can create an online, my Social Security account to verify your earnings, see an estimate of future benefits if you’re still working, or manage your monthly benefits once you begin receiving payments.

You can also check the status of your claim or appeal, request a replacement Social Security card, and get an instant benefit verification letter.

For more information and to create an account, visit this Social Security Administration website.

Legal Tools
 prepare legal documents for free!

Access online tools at
to complete personalized legal documents

Using these online tools, a person can apply for a civil protection order, answer an eviction complaint, complete health care directives, apply to seal a criminal record, request the return of a security deposit, answer a credit card debt lawsuit, apply for a divorce without children, answer a foreclosure complaint, apply to waive court filing fees, or create a simple will.

The program does not provide legal advice or individual legal help from an attorney.
It will help you prepare forms that you will file without an attorney.

I am a Tenant – Can I call/text my questions about my rights & responsibilities?

Tenants can now call Legal Aid’s Tenant Information Line at 216.861.5955 with questions about their rights and responsibilities.  Tenants can call between the hours 9am - 5pm and leave a brief message with their housing question and someone will call them back within 24 business hours. 

Tenants can text Legal Aid at 216.242.1544 for info about responding to an eviction, requesting return of a security deposit, problems with housing conditions and lead poisoning. 

  • eviction complaint text FAQ EVICTION
  •  request a return of a security deposit text FAQ DEPOSIT
  •  rent repairs text FAQ REPAIRS 
  •  lead poisoning information text FAQ LEAD

If you need legal assistance,
You can contact Legal Aid any weekday for help.

New intakes are processed via phone:
888-817-3777 (toll free)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday: 9a.m. – 2 p.m.

If you prefer an in-person intake application, those are handled:
Tuesday, Thursday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
At any of our four Northeast Ohio offices (Cleveland, Elyria, Jefferson & Painsville).

Visit for more information

Listed below are The Legal Aid Society’s upcoming neighborhood clinics. 


US Veterans Only
2:30 PM – 4:00 PM
Call 216-391-0264 for an appointment

10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Cleveland Public Library – MLK Jr. Branch
1962 Stokes Boulevard

2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Oberlin Depot - Oberlin Community Services
240 South Main Street, Oberlin
Call 440-774-6579 for an appointment

2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Catholic Charities Ashtabula
4200 Park Avenue, Third Floor
Call 440-992-2121 for an appointment

At these clinics, attorneys are available for free brief advice on legal matters relating to shelter, safety, consumer issues, and legal issues related to health, education, work, income and immigration.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software